- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup soft butter
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 T vanilla
- 1 t salt
- 4 cups raw quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a baking pan with oil or line with parchment paper
- With a spoon or electric mixer on medium speed, mix the brown sugar and butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add the corn syrup, vanilla, salt and rolled oats and beat on low speed to mix ingredients well.
- Spread the mixture evenly in the pan with the back of a spoon or spatula. For a 13″ x 9″ pan bake on the rack in the center of the oven 15 minutes – add 5 minutes for smaller 11″ x 7″ pan.
- While the mixture bakes, mix the peanut butter and chocolate in a small bowl – microwave to melt the chocolate
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool
- Spread the melted peanut butter-chocolate mixture over the top
- Cut into 27 bars and remove from the pan with a spatula.
Click HERE to download a pdf recipe card.
When I was 8 years old, I received the cookbook “Let’s Start to Cook” by Nell B. Nichols as a birthday present. I discovered this recipe in it and made it so much the page came out of the cookbook and (I thought) it was lost forever. Several years ago, I discovered Amazon’s used book section of the website and found another copy!!!
Here’s the link to the cookbook on Amazon: Let’s Start to Cook