- 1 onion – chopped
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 2 (16 ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli
- 4 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (2 pound) loaf processed cheese food, cubed (Yes, Velveeta)
- 2 cups 1/2 and 1/2 (or milk)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2/3 cup cornstarch
- In a stockpot, melt butter over medium heat.
- Cook onion in butter until softened.
- Stir in broccoli, and cover with 3 cans of chicken broth.
- Simmer until broccoli is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat, and stir in cheese cubes until melted.
- Mix in milk and garlic powder.
- In a small bowl, stir cornstarch into final can of chicken broth until dissolved.
- Stir into soup; cook, stirring frequently, until thick.
Our church congregation has a tradition of serving soup and grilled cheese sandwiches before our Christmas Eve service each year. This soup has been a hit at that service.